The Friends of Fakahatchee, Inc. was founded to help maintain and protect this natural legacy. The Friends organization is a Florida not-for-profit 501(c)(3) corporation that relies on membership fees and private donations to pursue activities on behalf of the Preserve.
As a Citizens Support Organization, the Friends work closely with the Division of Parks and Recreation in order to accomplish the following:
- provide interpretive materials used by Park staff
- obtain scientific equipment to support research in the Strand
- distribute Preserve information to the general public and local community
- solicit support (financial and moral) for preservation of the Strand
As a member of the Friends, you will be able to join in numerous activities:
- swamp walks led by a ranger/naturalist
- canoe trips through mangrove tunnels
- special bird and butterfly counts
- wildlife watching opportunities
- tram surveys, other volunteer work
- membership cookouts and dinner/talks
- specialist committees (eg, Boardwalk, History)
The Friends of Fakahatchee believe that the protection of this jewel of the Everglades Ecosystem is achievable through public awareness and participation.
|Documents on this site are in Adobe Acrobat PDF format and require the free Adobe Reader to view. If you don’t have Adobe Reader already, you can Download it by clicking here.|